Zenith’s Global Dairy Congress at the end of June provided a plethora of market insights, especially about the relative growth for different types of milk drinks in the United States.
Fairlife Chief Executive Steve Jones emphasized the promise of added value milks.
Dairy Farmers of America Senior Vice President Jay Waldvogel noted improved fortunes for milk fat.
Here is an ice cold story for the heat of summer.
A new limited edition water is about to be launched with all the terroir and hype imaginable.
It’s a polar water “harvested from icebergs freshly calved” off Norwegian glaciers 1,000 km from the North Pole – “pristine ice, locked up for millennia.”
A boat has collected 16 tonnes that had been at the centre of the glacier and was “as hard as concrete”, yet provides “an exceptionally smooth mouthfeel.” It’s “almost entirely mineral free with the pH of fresh snow.” The initial production run will be 13,000 bottles.
At last, a co-ordinated approach. And a potentially sensible one.
In June, the European Union asked governments for national plans to make food healthier.
Progress reports are to be made every two years. Benchmarks, best practice and results are to be shared.
“For people’s diet to improve, the healthy choice should be the easy choice.” The policy seeks public health driven education, objective nutrition information and attention to physical as well as social environments. It calls for reducing levels of salt, saturated fat, added sugars and calories along with smaller portion sizes. Reformulation should be a gradual process. Emphasis should be paid to food for infants and children.
Consumer and industry groups have given their backing.
Signs of hope.
June saw fewer food and drink industry transactions recorded in the bevblog.net mergers and acquisitions database than for May or April but more than in March.
Many huge deals were in the process of being closed, but only two announced during the month amounted to more than $500 million.
• $578 million for Canada’s Cott to buy the Eden Springs water cooler business based in Switzerland.
• $575 million for Coca-Cola and Coca-Cola Femsa to purchase the AdeS soy-based business in Latin America from Unilever.
Of the 39 total, 9 were in alcohol, 8 in soft drinks, 6 in packaging, 4 in ingredients and 3 in dairy.
Just 10 were international, spread across 12 countries. As many as 29 were within national borders – 18 in the United States, 7 in the United Kingdom and 4 in France.
My favourite chart on global economic growth was updated in The Economist on 18th June.
Until 2008, the global economy was growing at around 4% on year. For the last 3 years, the rate has been close to 3%. In the first quarter of 2016, it was 2.7%. The BRIC countries of Brazil, Russia, India and China contributed 1.6 percentage points of this.
Not so bad, really. But I suspect the uncertainty over Britain’s continued links with the European Union won’t help.
You think you’ve heard it all before and no one can come up with something totally new, but now there’s a new concept called dry drinks.
ViBErant brings “a new dimension to the soft drink” market. It dissolves in the mouth “and delivers an incredible sparkle and flavour experience.”
Over $4 million has been invested in the business behind it, ViBEration.
How does it work ? Well, it’s a tablet, with people as “the bottle and the water.”
You don’t need to make it up. Nor should you swallow it.
Technology and the internet are the biggest winners in the new BrandZ ranking of the world’s 100 biggest brands. The top 5 are Google, Apple, Microsoft, AT&T and Facebook, each worth over $100 billion.
It takes a value of $10 billion to reach the top 100. No food brands made the cut, but there were several in drink, fast food and grocery.
Online retailing has achieved astonishing growth, led by Amazon in 7th place and Alibaba in 18th.
A variety of sources have produced some important new findings on US beverage trends.
• 73% of the growth in bottled water consumption since 1998 is attributable to people switching from carbonated soft drinks, juices and milk. So tap water is in the remaining 27%.
• Bottled water could overtake carbonated soft drinks in volume by next year.